After years of travel and globe-trotting, in many countries and particularly in South America, we decided, rather than return to our old life style of "subway-job-sleep", to create a lifestyle based on environmental protection, ecology and the principles of permaculture.
2013: We built our hostel with the following ecological features:
- Separation of the rubbish and composting of organic wastes
- Grey water treatment. We use the purified water for watering the garden
- Solar thermal panels for the hot water
- LED lighting
- Pellet heating system, using sawdust pellets, which pollutes much less than wood which is very popular in this region.
In February 2014: hostel opening
Short and medium-term projects
- Creation of a kitchen garden
- Solar illumination outside of the house
- Ecological home-made soaps
- Purified water for the laundry
- Construction of dry toilets
- Installation of a wind turbine for the electricity